Monday, November 21, 2005

Constitutive DecisionMaking

Here's a post from the National Journal on Torture. It reminded me of the constitutive school: our choices "become us."

Usually this is said in regards to the US, as a nation:

"The reason I believe that torture corrupts the torturers and society," Gerber says, "is that a standard is changed, and that new standard that's acceptable is less than what our nation should stand for. I think the standards in something like this are crucial to the identity of America as a free and just society."


Interestingly, this article also talks about this at the individual level:

"If you talk to people who have been tortured, that gives you a pretty good idea not only as to what it does to them, but what it does to the people who do it," he said. "One of my main objections to torture is what it does to the guys who actually inflict the torture. It does bad things. I have talked to a bunch of people who had been tortured who, when they talked to me, would tell me things they had not told their torturers, and I would ask, 'Why didn't you tell that to the guys who were torturing you?' They said that their torturers got so involved that they didn't even bother to ask questions." Ultimately, he said -- echoing Gerber's comments -- "torture becomes an end unto itself."



Gotta go watch Resevoir Dogs and play some GTA-2!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home